Splendor in the Grass : Romantic mood.
It was a foggy day. On a way to Incheon from Seoul, I had a conversation with my mother and I asked several questions to her. She answered me while driving and I wrote down short script.
I edit sentences for easy reading. This is what we said that day.
(A : me V : mom – Adele is my international name and my mom’s web nick name is violet - her favorite flower and color)
A : Wow, It is really cold and foggy. Can you talk with me while driving? I’m a little concerned about you.
V : Don’t worry. I’m a great driver. Our conversation won’t disturb me.
A : Ok. Then – As I told you, I need to make a blog for an assignment. Actually, as you know, I’m not good at dealing with computer. So after long consideration, I decide to do simple and easy one which is my favorite thing, as well. Writing. And Listening.
V : okay, sound nice. So, what should I have to do? Answer you?
A : don’t think like that. It’s not a formal thing. Just have a conversation with me and I’ll write down summary of the speaking. That’s all.
V : About what?
A : Books, novels, Poems, essay – you can talk about everything which is written on a paper.
V : Ok. Let’s do it.
Because my mom lives near a mountain, outside was wonderful and beautiful.
Weather was cold but trees are colorful as like a fresh autumn day.
Question 1.
Do you like reading?
V : Yes, sure. Especially, before marriage, I read really really lots of books.
A : Yeah, I remember that when I was a little child you always read my books out. And you even know many poems still now. How do you remember all the poems?
V : I read that poems when I was a teenager and I usually remember most of things what I study in that period. I don’t know why.
A : um.. anyway that’s amazing.
V : However, these days, I haven’t read any novel.
A : because you’re busy?
V : That is a part of a reason. And it’s not easy to concentrate on a text these day.
A : If you don’t want to read, you don’t need to force that to yourself. Right?
V : right. Everything has proper timing.
Question 2.
What kind of writing do you like? Novel? Poem? Essay?
V : I love poetry.
A : why?
V : when I was young, I found that a poem takes everything, whole world with few letters.
I felt like I can feel every emotions and feeling with poetry and I thought, every life can be melt into one poem. Then, Poetry is beautiful. Isn’t it?
A : right. Poetry is beautiful but sometimes it’s too difficult to understand… and …annoying me.
V : sorry?
A : nothing! Who was your favorite poet?
V : William Wordsworth.
A : Sorry? Wordsworth?
V : yes. I love his poet. Have you learned ‘splendor in the grass?’
A : No~ Is that his poem?
V : Yes. And it is a movie title, as well. In that movie, a main character recites this poem and it’s amazing. Impressive!
A : oh… Actually, I learned about him about 2 weeks ago. But as I remember, we didn’t study that poem. I’ll check that out at home later.
V : okay.
A : why do you like Wordsworth?
V : Wordsworth is… how can I express.. He is Romantic. His poems have some romantic and aesthetic mood.
A : oh! Right he is most famous Romanticism poet!
V : Is he? I didn’t know that. I just felt that.
A : oh, goodness. You’re emotional genius.
V : (looks shy) well… I don’t know.
trailer of the movie 'Splendor in the grass'
Actually, Splendor in the grass is not a title of a poem. It's is one line of Wordsworth's poem.
<Poem>
from "Ode: Intimations of Immortality
from Recollections of Early Childhood"
William Wordsworth
What though the radiance which was once so bright
Be now for ever taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the grass, of glory in the flower;
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind;
In the primal sympathy
Which having been must ever be;
In the soothing thoughts that spring
Out of human suffering;
In the faith that looks through death,
In years that bring the philosophic mind.
Question 3.
Wordsworth is also famous for his Nature poems. Did you feel that as well?
V : actually, Yes. His poems are often related to Nature environment.
A : Yes, right. But in fact, It was not easy to have empathy for me. I haven’t stay in country side for long time. I born in city and I grew up at there. So, I can say nature is beautiful but I hardly feel I’m a part of that.
V : Me as well. I haven’t lived in rural areas. But -. I think, um..
When I was young, I used to go to a mountain. That was small mountain – Geumanbong – and on a way to the top, there were 99 steps. I love to walk there. And on the top, I looked down small and narrow River. Then I felt some kind of freedom. I was like a wind.
My body was light and I could look down everywhere in my small hometown. It’s not easy to describe with words. But I felt some great feelings.
I love wind, especially before a rain. A wind is moist and cold before rain. I can remember the smell of the wind even now. That wind washed my heart with fresh touch.
Only a person who has experienced that would understand what I felt.
A : that is kind of meditation. Right?
V : you can say like that.
A : Were you lonely?
V : A little bit. But that was not a sad loneliness. Can you understand?
A : maybe, a little bit.
Question 4.
How about Korean poet?
V : My favorite Korean poet is Yu chihwan. I can recite his poem ‘happiness’ even now.
A : I know that poem. I read that when I was junior high school student. I remember that you recited that song in front of me at that time.
V : Yes. I taught you that poem. That is about waiting and love.
A : It’s kind of adolescent girl’s feeling.
V : That was my nick name. Adolescent girl.
A : That nickname perfectly matches you.
V : Love is important for everyone. As I told you when you were a little girl, love is everything. I’m not just talking about relationship with opposite sex. Love is variety.
A : for example?
V : mother and daughter’s love. Human and Nature’s love. Something like that.
Question 5.
Why is literature important?
V : Because it’s based on Human’s life.
A : more explanation, please.
V : What literature describes is human in the end. The writer is human and the characters in the novel and poems are human beings. So literature is for human being.
And I think, It’s kind of trying to understand others. I could understand a person who has different environment and identity.
A : Maybe, my sensitivity is came from you, mom.
V : why not? You are my precious daughter.
A : Thanks.
V : No worry.
-
I expected better works than this but because of my lack of ability , I'd rather finish first post like this.
next time, I'm going to make a better post with more delicate words.

The "interview" format kind of caught me by surprise because it's not an interview with the author or a critic as one would expect. Right now, it seems to be more about learning English through dialog or something.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I hope you also post in other formats like reviews or critical studies about the books. Narrowing your topic to certain types of books might also help.
Wow. I like your post. The dialog with your mom is really impressive to me.
ReplyDeleteit's quite a long post,, it was hard to follow.. but the conception is interesting!
ReplyDeleteLance - oh! Thanks for advise. I've thought about certain types for long times but I couldn't choose one thing. Because I don't want to feel like doing assignment ㅜㅜ I'm enjoying this 'stream of consciousness' posting but I'm going to post about certain books and writers as well. ASAP!
ReplyDeleteDahee - Thank you! That's music to my ears~
Soojin - Thanks! I'm enjoying this but it takes long time..ㅜㅜ