Architecture & Comic books
(In the morning, In our small one room house I asked several questions to my sister "morning star"
A is my nickname and M is my sister)
A : Are you busy now?
M : no, It's ok. I have only one class today, It's supposed to start in 2 hours later.
A : Good! As I told you before, I'm doing a blog these days.
M : So, Do you want to know about my taste about novels?
A : Novels are good. but I don't care. We can talk about poetry, essay and everything which is consist of text.
M : good.
Question 1
Could you tell me about your favorite book?
M : oh...(thinking)
A : I already know that you read more than 3~4 books in a month. Just pick 1 book for me.
M : yeah, That's true. I like read novels in my free time but ... I don't know, nothing comes to my mind now.
A : Then how about poetry?
M : um.. I don't read poem often. what I remeber is things which I studied in highschool.
A : So, you don't like to read novels and poems?
M : Not really, I love to read and actually I feel something while I read. but That's not that impressive after several days. I even forget a name of main character and writer within a week.
A : Hmm.
M : I'm going to tell you after I brush my teeth.
Question 2
How about a book related to your major Architecture?
A : I saw you read a book about Architecture and Architect. Are they interesting?
M : Yes, of course. I love what I'm studying.
A : Could you recommend a book about your major?
M : Umm, ok. I recommend <There is no Architecture in a builddings>
A : oh, That's interesting title. What's that mean?
M : As I told you before, Phiosophy and ideology or theory are importnat to Arichitect as well, like a writer and a scholar.
A : sure, Architecure is a part of an Art like book and music.
M : That's right. last time, you asked about post-modernism to me and I told you how modernism and post modernism are shown in a architecure.
A : one of my professor explained about post modernism with picture of post modernism buildings.
M : Because of spirit of the age.
A : Yeah, the spirit of the age is shown in every part of Art.
M : so, This book is about Architect's identity and what they pursuit . when they make a buiding, they also want to express their thinking in their arts. however, It's not easy to korean, I guess.
A : why?
M : usually, In korea, the architect couldn't have many chance to create creative buidings. Could you make a characteristic apartment for living? No client want to spend more money to build an unique apartment only for living. commercial viability is most important in korean architecture area.
A : that make sense.
Question 3
Let's more talk about Articheture. What's your favorite style?
A : as I know, you love minimalism.
M : yes, and I love art nouveau as well.
A : Minimalism design is simple and clean. right?
M : yes, Minimalist doesn't like unnecessary decoration. To them, important thing is practial purpose.
Minimalism style
A : How about art nouveau?
M : It's totally different with minimalism.
A : you mean, complicated?
M : No, I can't say like that.
After industrial revolution, artists felt shame about same mechanical arts and skills. Art nouveau movement started to revive delicate and sincere hand craft arts.
A : you mean... I don't get it. could you give me an example?
M : your loving painter, Gustav Klimt!
A : oh! you mean, the golden papers on his works? he attached that by his hand. right?
M : It's a little bit different. um, look at this picture.
F.Champenois, Imprimeur - Editeur, 1897
Alfons Maria Mucha
Alfons Maria Mucha
A : oh, It's really splendid.
M : look at the background of this picture. It's very delicate and takes long time.
A : right.
M : this movement against of mechanic process. They thought that kind of way of print is inhuman.
And most of this decorations in painting and buidings are ispired from nature.
A : It's simialr with Romanticism.
M : correct. but the limit is, in the end, these paintings are copied and sold. we have a postcare of Udith (Gustav Klimt's painting) and I told you, this type of painting and buiding takes long time and need big effort to finish. It's fail become popular.
Q4 Now, do you remember any impressive novel?
M : not yet.
A : how about comic books?
M : oh! I can say more than 30 comic books right now.
A : Do you think comic book is a literature like novel ?
M : of course, why not?
A : more explanation, please.
M : for example, Marvel company's comics are very philoshphic and it reflects society! even some of them are politic and scientific. For example, Iron man describe American weapon industry and wars. and It's for fun, but my friend told me this is the future. It means, we need to develop new powerful material which can replace present materails. something like that.
Also, In fact, I think comic books inspire my emotions. comic books describe human's feeling and emotions just like a novel. That's important. to me, formality is not imporatant.
A : Thank you for your truthful answers.
M : nothing! suddenly a book come to my mind!
A : which one?
M : It was about number 2 and cucumber and... hat.
A : Ah! Hotel Cactus.
M : that one!
A : why do you like this book?
M : um, I don't know. It's hard to explain. I like a mood of the book.
A : And, Actually the cover of the book is a picture of an art neoveau style building.
M : ah.. I remeber that.
A : anyway. Thank you again.
It's quite interesting post! I've never seen this kind of post before( the interview )! You said that you are addicted in reading! could you recommend me a nice book?
ReplyDeleteI think you are going to be a good interviewer. I like literature too but cannot think more deeply..I think my imagination skill has already gone.
ReplyDeleteOh... It`s very interesting for me! due to lots of words... zzz. just kidding ^0^
ReplyDeleteI like art nouveau, so I bought Alfons Mucha diary. Anyway, it is very interesting interview.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGood.
ReplyDeleteWow, are you preparing to be a journalist or a reporter?
ReplyDeleteI don't like books. TTTTT
ReplyDeleteIt is quite interesting to seeing an interview between an author and you, reader.
ReplyDeleteJina - okay! I'm preparing recommendation post! (In advance, I recommend : regarding the pain of others,susan sontag - 1984,George Orwell - Loving sabotage,Amelie Notomb - Sputnik sweetheart,Murakami Haruki - The brief Wondrous life of Oscar wao,Junot Diaz - The moon and six pence, William Somerset Maugham - The Good Eearth, Pearl Sydenstricker Buck - The nightingale and the rose, Oscar Wilde )
ReplyDeleteBitna - Oh, Interviewer? I have no idea :-) No worry mate! My imagination is gone as well!!
ReplyDeleteSuyeong - I'm happy to meet a person who loves Alfons mucha!
Youuhyun - Um, answer is no but who knows!*_*
ByeongGi & Seongung - Thx
Yanghee - there are many easy and simple one!
Donghyeok - ....? It's not between author and me.ㅜㅜ