Now I want to talk about his Dramas, more short stories (these are famous as children's stories in korea)
1. "Happy Prince" & "The Selfish Giant"
These Two so famous books don't need an explaination. You might read these in your childhood. I'm still read this kind of books when I am tired,lonely or angry.
Whenever I read books again I feel different feelings and think more about stories and characters.
When I was little I felt sorry about Prince and swallow but now I feel - pain.
A young naive and innocent prince gives his clothes, skines, eyes and everything to people who will never realize his sacrifice. Then poeple romove him from square because of his naked appearance. How about swallow-. He is dead, too. While he helps a prince winter has come. A swallow can't take refuge in warm place so one night he dies beside naked prince.
I can go down possitive ways and negative ways with people.
well, As I get older I found negative things more and more ^^..
But we need to see the bright side, doesn't it?!
"The Selfish Giant" is a story of an Big stubborn Gaint who has a beautiful broad yard around his house. The children in the village come to the yard everyday. They run and climb a trees and shout and laugh. As we can guess, a giant is a warm-hearted one. He thorws children out of the yard. Then all the grass,flower,trees are withering and only cold wind fills the yard.
Giant's beautiful yard becomes a lonely, solitary place.
Then Giant realize that the only children can bring the spring again. so he apologizes to children and bring them back. Of course, the flower,grass,warm wind come back with children. Ta - Da!
Indeed, Children are closer creature with Nature than Adults. How many times do you discover tree and flower on the street? When was your last time to touch dirts on the groudn?
As poets of Romanticism said, Adults have to learn from Children. Wordsworth said "The child is father of the Man."
2. "The Importance of being Earnest" & "Lady Windermere's Fan"
A Trivial Comedy for Serious People is a subtitle of The Importance of being Earnest.
Have you watch this? If you haven't search it on youtube. As I know, you can watch whole video at there! A long story short, It's really funny. "earnest" has double meaning in this drama. first, a person's name. second, Virtue of Victorian Age.
In Victorian Age, Earnest, Modesty, Formality were very imporant obssessions to people especially high-class. At the same time, during this time, children and women squeezed out under a brutal trademen and factory, mine owners. noble man and woman were interested in charity but It never worked well. Chairty money rarely used for children or poor people. Also, The Victorian age were a boom age for prostitution business.
I'm not going to write stories at here. If you want read whole-text click here!
A Good Woman
- In my opinion, this movie is not a great one. but Scarlett Johansson brights in every scene. (So pretty..)
We find see Victorian Age's view of womanhood in Lady Windermere's Fan.
(Do you wanna read whole text? Click the title of the dram)
RECOMMENDATION : You can Read Wilde's collection At this site!
No comments:
Post a Comment